Safety Instrumented System E-Learning
An IChemE Accredited online course
Learn ONLINE about safety instrumented systems (SIS) and safety instrumented functions (SIF) in the process industry sector according to IEC 61511 and IEC 61508 functional safety standards.
Safety Instrumented Systems (SIS) are one of the vital independent protection layers for process safety. Applications include safe isolation of storage tanks, emergency shutdown, burner management and others found commonly in oil & gas, refining, chemicals and other high hazard industries.
The self-paced online course starts with hazard and risk assessment principles, using narrated and interactive lessons to explain how all elements of the SIS safety lifecycle are connected. From early concept through design and development, system testing and subsequent operation of an SIS; this course covers the entire safety life-cycle of an SIS. The course is entirely up to date with the latest IEC 61511 edition 2 international standard.
Learn about SIL rated systems & safety instrumented functions
SIS Foundation online course contents
Management & Standards
Technical & Operations
Safety Instrumented System learning objectives
- Relate the history of several notorious process safety accidents with the safety life-cycle of IEC 61511
- Differentiate between functional safety standards IEC 61508, IEC 61511 and their primary usage.
- Describe the main SIS safety lifecycle and explain inputs and outputs of each stage.
- Relate tolerable risk targets to the ALARP principle of risk reduction, including how Safety Integrity Level (SIL) applies within this overall context.
- Explain the main elements of a typical SIS and differentiate this from other protection layer options for risk reduction.
- Outline typical process hazard analysis methodologies and SIL selection techniques including risk graphs and LOPA.
- Demonstrate an understanding of failure rates and how they apply to probability of failure in the context of safety functions.
- Summarize the need and principles of regular inspection and proof testing of safety functions.
Subscribe now to SIS e-Learning
ONE SIS Online Module access
for ONE PERSON for 30 days
(7 modules required to complete the course)
SIS Online Course access
for a TEAM for 1 year
*Price On Application - request a TEAM quote below
Frequently Asked Questions about our Online Courses.
- Before you purchase
- Course Completion
Where are course prices listed?
Course prices are shown on the specific course page, or can be accessed at our online store.
What are the terms and conditions of purchase?
Read our terms and conditions, applicable to all online course purchases.
How do TEAM course purchases differ from single user?
When a TEAM purchase is made, we provide access for your selected administrator to monitor TEAM progress and produce reports directly from our Learning Management System. This is a powerful way of ensuring team members stay on track and progress through longer courses.
How do I access a free course to try it?
You can sign-up for a free trial account. After sign-up we will send you joining details for your chosen course.
How long can I access an online E-Learning course I have paid for?
This is stated when you purchase access. There are three types of member:
1. TEAM member. These come with year-round access to our learning management system for a team of 5 people or more.
2. Pre-paid Learner. These come with 90 days of access to our learning management system for the selected course.
3. Monthly user. Subscribe for a single month or multiple months to learn a specific topic or complete a learning path.
Should I take courses in any particular order?
We indicate the path of the course, but allow you free navigation for the modules purchased. if there are any recommended courses you should complete first then this will be indicated.
What is included with a purchased online E-Learning course for a single user?
This depends on the level of access purchased. All courses include access to lessons, quizzes and assessments for the stated subscription period and module/course when you purchase. All module and courses include a Certificate on completion. Some courses provide downloadable PDF files. Check the details when you purchase.
How are courses assessed?
We assess learner progress using regular quizzes and assessment questions. Assessments require a minimum of 80% pass mark. There is no limit to the number of assessment attempts during the subscription period.
What will I get after I complete a course?
All courses include a certificate of completion. Depending on the course, this may be issued by us, or by an independent accrediting body such as the Institution of Chemical Engineers - IChemE.
Sign up to start the online course
No obligation, no credit card details required - Just click the button below