Suppose your staff and contractors need to get up to speed with improving IEC 61511 functional safety competence for safety instrumented systems. If that's the case, this is the right blog for you.
Developed over the past seven years, we've delivered many years of experience to hundreds of professionals with our functional safety online learning.
Improve functional safety competence
Online training is a good starting point for improving competence. Of course, it's not the end of the story. Still, everyone needs a base level of understanding before getting involved in functional safety projects, operations or maintenance.
We all fondly remember the days that we attended an excellent face-to-face course. Sadly, we probably also remember a few "yawn" courses. Online learning is equally variable in quality and capability to deliver what the industry needs.
Make sure it's "traceable" learning
I've written before about online courses in the blog "When is training truly ONLINE?". My feelings on the subject have not changed with the current global pandemic situtation. In fact, I'm more adamant than ever that everyone gets the message that "online" courses are not all equal.
With the advent of more people working from home or remotely on a regular basis, it has become crucial to track and monitor individual and team learning.
I believe there are several essential aspects of a sound online learning environment for companies to truly benefit from the online learning invesment.
Here are just a few of the features you should be expecting:
- On-board users via a simple email message, without difficulty or fuss
- Make sure all the learner needs is a web browser and an internet connection; no specialist software installation
- Allow users to start, stop and return to the precise part of the course they had previously reached
- Provide quizzes or assessments that test user understanding
- Track each individual's progress over extended periods
- Track assessment attempts and results
- Enable users to ask questions about the course material
- Provide learning downloads to keep
- Offer central tracking and reporting for a team leader or administrator
- Produce an independently accredited certificate